- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Originally posted: December 11, 2005

Written for Yaycoffee as a holiday gift. 581 words.

Link: My LJ

~*~

"What's this?" Ginny asked, eyeing the box Harry held out to her.

He seemed taken aback. "Erm... Your birthday present."

She stared at him for a moment, then bit her lip. "Harry, my birthday was in August."

His cheeks flushed. "Ah. So..." He looked away. "Shit. I'm going to kill Fred."

"Please tell me you didn't buy that present from the twins' shop," she replied, trying not to laugh.

"No," he said, folding his arms over his chest. "I… I feel like an idiot now."

"Oh, no," she grinned, stepping forward and pulling him into a hug. "Please don't. We'll just consider it a few months late, yeah?"

He was still frowning, but he let his arms wind around her. She tucked her forehead under his chin, inhaling the scent of him. She still couldn't believe he was really hers, after so much time. But yet, she couldn't shake the feeling that their time was limited, that she had to make the most of every moment they had.

She lifted her chin and kissed him, smiling against his lips when he moaned. She'd been surprised at how inexperienced he had seemed at first, but he was a quick learner. Kissing was no longer a battle of tongues, much to her relief.

"Should I open it?" she whispered into his open mouth.

"Later," he replied, pulling her tightly against him. He was already hard, pressing against her hip in that not-so-subtle way boys always did, hoping she would just notice and do something about it.

"I think I should open it now," she grinned, pushing him away. She held out her hand. He shifted uncomfortably where he stood, but handed her the package.

She held it up in front of her and shook it. It made a satisfying rattling sound -- thank Merlin, it probably wasn't jewelry. She didn't think she could handle a sappy gift from Harry.

She tore the paper off and lifted the lid from the small box. There was a glimmer of gold and something shot out of the box, swirling above her head. She caught it without thinking, pulling it down to her face so she could see it.

It was a snitch, its wings beating furiously against her fingers. She gave Harry a quizzical look.

He blushed and shrugged again. "It's the first one I ever caught, back in first year. Madame Hooch let me keep it, and… I thought…"

It was precisely the sort of gift Harry would give, something that had value beyond what he could buy with his inheritance. It was something that meant a lot to him, and he was offering it to her.

Ginny smiled at him, immensely touched. "I love it. Thank you."

He looked relieved for a moment, and then awkward again, as if he wasn't sure what to say next. Ginny grinned and held the snitch before her. Its tiny wings beat against her fingers, not quite struggling to free itself, but enough that if she dropped it, it wouldn't crash to the floor. She glanced at Harry again to see that he was watching her watch the snitch, an expectant expression on his face.

He still had a bulge at the front of his trousers, too.

With a grin, Ginny dropped the snitch down the front of her blouse. Its wings fluttered against her skin, making her squirm.

"Why don't you try to catch it?" she quipped, one eyebrow raised.

Harry grinned back and lunged for her.

~*~