- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This part written by me (Emma Grant). Originally posted here .
Obi-Wan turned and walked toward the door leading out of the room. Anakin followed behind, glancing once over his shoulder at Draco.

Draco hesitated for a moment. Should he trust this man, simply because he'd smiled? Draco wasn't a bloody gullible Hufflepuff. But the other people in the room had deferred to him, so he must be powerful. Most importantly, Anakin had immediately backed down when this man had appeared, even calling him Master. Draco's father only called one man "Master".

Draco hurried to catch up.

The door anticipated Obi-Wan's intentions and slid open before him, much like the doors at the Manor. Even though it made a ghostly sound and was made of a material he couldn't identify, Draco took comfort in that one detail being familiar.

What he saw on the other side of the door, however, made him freeze in his tracks. He was standing in a massive chamber, bigger than any he'd ever seen. The chamber was full of beings of all sorts, creatures Draco hadn't even imagined before. They were all dressed in robes, and they exuded a sense of calm that was nearly unnerving. There were strange mechanical things floating about as well, the function of which Draco couldn't determine. On one side was an enormous window, through which Draco could see a reddish sky. Something whizzed past the window, startling him. He stared, and then another one came by.

"Are you all right, Draco?" He turned to see Obi-Wan standing next to him, a look of mild concern on his face.

Draco pointed to the window. "I saw something…" Another massive object whizzed past.

"Nothing but speeders," Anakin said, frowning. "Maybe a few light cruisers."

"Speeders?" Draco looked from one man to the other, and then steeled himself. He had to know. He walked to the window and looked down.

He was standing in the tallest building he'd ever seen in his life. He couldn't see the ground from where he was standing. Tall buildings stretched out on the horizon as far as he could see. Another "speeder" whizzed by; it looked a bit like a Muggle automobile he'd once seen, but… sleeker. Weirder. Faster. More--

His knees gave out and he sank to the floor, forehead still pressed against the glass.

"Draco!" he heard, and then a warm hand was on his shoulder. He didn't allow himself to be pulled away from the sight. Streams of vehicles flew through the air across the sky, their lights marking paths through the air, suspended only by magic.

"Oh god," he muttered. "I'm in the future."

Obi-Wan settled beside him on the floor. "The future?"

Draco didn't have to look up to know the man thought he was nutters. "It's the only explanation. This is the future. Oh, god." He closed his eyes for a moment, overwhelmed. His parents were long dead. His friends, his world -- fuck, even his enemies -- all long gone.

"Let's get you someplace with less stimulation," Obi-Wan said. Draco was pulled to his feet by both men. They walked him along with them back across the chamber.

Beings looked up as they passed, and Draco saw for the first time the true diversity of the place. There were creatures that looked like trolls, only smaller, beings who resembled Dementors, beings that looked a bit like inflated pixies, beings that looked like squids, beings that--

"Master Yaddle," both men intoned, bowing their heads. Draco looked down, and nearly fainted.

A greenish house elf was standing before them, dressed in a wizard's robe. It nodded its ugly head at them in greeting. Obi-Wan and Anakin kept their heads bowed until it had passed.

Humans, bowing down to a house elf, who was dressed as a wizard? As an equal -- no, worse: a superior? "Oh god," Draco breathed. "We lost. Fucking Potter won." He promptly fainted.

+++++

"I think he's coming around."

Draco blinked. The world was fuzzy. A head was hovering before him.

"Should I make some tea, Master?"

"Tea," Draco repeated. His lips were horribly dry. "English Breakfast would be nice, with a smidge of cream."

"He's delirious," Obi-Wan sighed.

Draco finally managed to focus. The bearded face before him was concerned. "No, I'm…" Draco pushed himself to sitting. "I'm fine."

Anakin appeared with a small cup. Draco took it and sipped, then cringed. It was horribly bitter. Didn't they have sugar in the future?

"Keep an eye on him, Padawan," Obi-Wan said, standing. "I'm going to contact Master Yoda."

Draco watched him walk away, robes billowing behind him. It reminded him a bit of Professor Snape, and he was startled to find his eyes stinging.

Anakin settled on the sofa beside him. "Sorry about your shoulder." He didn't sound particularly sorry, Draco thought.

"S' alright," Draco shrugged. He glanced around the room. They appeared to be in some sort of flat.

"I'm sure Master Yoda will know what to do," Anakin offered.

Draco turned to look at him. "How many 'Masters' are there, anyway?"

Anakin shrugged. "I don't know. Thousands, I guess."

Draco choked on his tea.

Anakin watched him for a moment. "I don't suppose you know how you got here?"

"No," Draco replied. "Nor do I know what happened to… Ferius."

"Ferus," Anakin grinned.

"Whatever. He's probably back in my time, facing off against a wizard with his sword." A smile crossed his face at that. What chance would Potter stand against a weapon like that?

Anakin looked skeptical. "Why is it you think you've come from the past?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "Well, there aren't many flying automobiles where I live, for one thing. And you do magic with no wands, which is a very advanced skill. And the buildings--"

"Magic?" Anakin said. He looked thoughtful. "But you're not… Are you a Jedi?"

"I'm a wizard," Draco said. "Just like you."

"Just like me?" Anakin's eyes narrowed, and Draco had the distinct impression he was being humored. "Prove it."

"Give me back my wand and I will." Draco held out his hand.

"Your wand? Oh, this?" Anakin fumbled with his belt and produced Draco's wand.

Draco took it; the feeling of wood in his fingers was reassuring. He stared at it for a moment.

"Well?" Anakin asked. He leaned back against the cushions, skeptical. "Show me, then."

Draco felt a wave of panic. What if time travel had affected his ability to do magic? Best to start with something simple then.

He pointed his wand at the teacup and held his breath. "Wingardium leviosa." The teacup wobbled, and then rose into the air. Draco exhaled and turned to Anakin with a smug grin.

Anakin rolled his eyes, then waved his hand at the teacup. It inverted in mid-air, its contents sailing towards the floor. Anakin furrowed his brows and the tea stopped falling. It rose again, an amorphous blob, and then formed itself into a perfect replica of Draco's face.

All without a wand. Draco swallowed. "Well, that was first year stuff, of course." He snatched the teacup out of the air. Anakin released the tea, and it splashed onto Draco's robe. Draco scowled and shot Anakin a dirty look.

"Oops," Anakin said.

Draco set the cup on the table. "A bit of transfiguration, then." He had recently mastered one skill in particular. He tapped the cup with the tip of his wand, muttering a spell. The cup wobbled, then began to change shape. It sprouted fur, grew longer, twisted -- and soon a very confused rat was sitting on the tea table. Draco turned to grin smugly at Anakin.

Anakin was white as a sheet.

"What?" Draco asked. "It's just a rat."

The door slid open and Obi-Wan returned. "I just… What is that?"

Anakin was still staring at the rat, blue eyes wide. "I don't know, Master. But a moment ago, it was a teacup."

Obi-Wan's mouth opened and closed again. "A teacup? That's impossible!"

"Impossible, you say?" The voice had come from the doorway. A very old, wrinkly house elf stood there, contemplating the scene. He leaned forward on his cane. "Most curious, this is. But impossible, clearly it is not."

Draco swallowed. He had a bad feeling about this.

+++++